News Roundup on the Blog

 
Here’s a few short news items about what’s going on around and about:


 
 
Past Tense



---Queen of the crime bloggers Margot Kinberg has a new book out! It’s called Past Tense, and features her academic sleuth Joel Williams. You can hear more about it from Margot on her blog, Confessions of a Mystery Novelist, here. And you can buy the book here. Here’s a taster:
A long-buried set of remains…a decades-old mystery Past and present meet on the quiet campus of Tilton University when construction workers unearth a set of unidentified bones. For former police detective-turned-professor Joel Williams, it’s a typical Final Exams week – until a set of bones is discovered on a construction site... When the remains are linked to a missing person case from 1974, Williams and the Tilton, Pennsylvania police go back to the past. And they uncover some truths that have been kept hidden for a long time.
I haven’t read the book yet, but will be writing about it again when I have.


 
Guardian


---Clothes in Books did a piece for the Guardian newspaper for Halloween – the subject was séances in books, and naturally crime novels were well represented. Find it on the blog here, and you can click through to the Guardian.


 
Verdict of us all


--Our group of crime fiction fans has done another Verdict of Us All – this time we were answering the question ‘Which author will you never read?’ You can see the results at In Search of the Classic Mystery Novel, where it formed the 999th post of this splendid blog.



Tuesday Night Bloggers History & Mystery


--A reminder that the Tuesday Night Bloggers are doing History and Mystery this month – any new contributors (regular or one off) always welcome. This was my entry, on whether you could tell if a book set in 1955 had been written in 1956 or 2016. And Bev has collected all the links over at her My Reader’s Block.


 
--I tucked this at the end of a post on Sunday, but am now thinking it needs another go-round:
 

Murder Among the Nudists

[Alas, no picture available]

At the back of a fairly obscure mystery novel, I found a list of crime fiction, much of it from long ago, and long-forgotten. The one that caught my eye was ‘Murder among the Nudists — A mystery from 1934 by Peter Hunt, featuring a naked Detective-Inspector going undercover in a nudist colony.’

WHY is this book not in print? I naturally immediately tried to find it, but there are only very expensive copies online, and I am so longing to read it. Surely it would be worth someone’s while to reprint – wouldn’t we all buy it? I think the sales figures just among the Facebook Golden Age Detection group would ensure a success. I’m pretty certain you could crowdfund a new edition – you could probably Kickstart a film of it with enough publicity…


And that's all the news today.

















Comments

  1. You did see this, didn't you?

    http://www.ramblehouse.com/murderamongthenudists.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAAAAAA!!! Just read the opening chapter on that page. The last line is a humdinger.

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed I have, but sadly if you try to complete a purchase or add book to basket nothing happens (or that's what happened for me). I have emailed the proprietor of the site, fingers crossed and watch this space...

      Delete
    3. An American friend says she's managed to order a copy and will send it on to me!!

      Delete
    4. I have found one to order, though it sounds a bit vague, but am hopeful! We can compare notes...

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind mention and link and so on, Moira. I really appreciate it! I hope you'll enjoy the story. And if you do get hold of a reliable link for that book, do let us know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Margot, and am very much looking forward to reading Past Tense!
      And yes, believe me I won't be keeping it to myself if I find That Other Book...

      Delete
  3. There's another a nudist detective in the genre who appeared in 1939. You can read about him in THE CASE OF MR CASSIDY by William Targ. Easy to find and affordable copies are being offered in the used book market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - why doesn't it surprise me that you have the facts at your fingertips? I'll look out for that one.

      Delete
  4. A new feature? I reckon you bottled it regarding the lack of MATN picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have artistic scruples, Col, I won't be satisfied with less than the perfect picture...

      Delete
  5. Moira, I am waiting to read Margot's new book. It'd be my first Joel Williams story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Watch out for a review later this week...

      Delete

Post a Comment